The SQL Server BareMetal Hands-on-Labs project allows you to build a SQL Server Hands-on-Lab Enviroment from scratch, using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V.
With SQL Server BareMetal, we wantto give you the opportunity to build out a Hands-on-Lab and test/demo environment from scratch on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.
The SQL Server BareMetal framework allows you to build a series of Hyper-V hosted installations that will:
Install and configure:
- A domain based network with multiple member servers
- Multiple servers and instances of SQL Server 2008 R2
- Multiple servers and instances of SQL Server code name "Denali"
- Installing SQL Server code name "Denali" on Windows Server core
Configure and Deploy:
- Microsoft Business Intelligence with Sharepoint 2010 and Office client integration
- Mission Critical platform using SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server code name "Denali"
Consume and try:
- Implement SQL Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering
- Implement SQL Server 2008 R2 Peer to Peer Replication
- Implement SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Mirroring
- Implement AlwaysOn in SQL Server code name "Denali"
- Discover and implement new features in SQL Server code name "Denali"
The goal of Baremetal is to function as the Core Platform for hands-on-labs, to complement the available hosted hands-on-lab platform, and provide you with the flexibility of creating and building your own environment.
All installations of software are based on publicly available downloads, with links to installation bit download locations listed in the BareMetal setup documentation, available in the download section of this project.
Requirements for SQL BareMetal:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with Hyper-V installed
- 8Gb or ideally 16 Gb RAM or higher
- 200 - 500Gb free disk space depnding on the number of Virtual Machines you will create.